Here’s some good news… naturally supporting a healthy immune system is easier and more cost-effective than you think. Our team of Naturopaths share their favourite immunity products that combine quality and value for money. And they’re all under $25!
Natural immunity products are useful to keep our immune defenses supported all year round, as well as when we’re at increased risk such as ills and chills season. What ingredients should you look for? Zinc and Vitamin C are key nutrients, providing support in keeping our immune cells in top shape so they can vigilantly patrol our bodies for any threats, while herbal helpers are useful to support a healthy immune response for a speedy recovery.
This high-dose, versatile powder makes it easy to adjust the dose for your individual needs. It has the key features we look for in a Vitamin C powder: two forms of vitamin C for improved bioavailability, plus no artificial flavours or sweeteners. It’s sweetened with natural thaumatin. Dose-wise it’s fantastic value for money, delivering a whopping 3,550 mg of Vitamin C per dose. Because it’s a water-soluble vitamin, it’s best to space Vitamin C dosing throughout the day – we suggest a ‘little and often’ approach.
- Useful tip: This high dose Vit C can be used for intensive dosing. You’ll find instructions on the ’Directions + Precautions’ section of our product page.
Winner of the Immunity category for our Best of Natural Awards, this convenient spray can be kept in your handbag for on-the-go use and is ideal to have on hand at the first sign of a throat tickle. Formulated for immune support by Sandra Clair, one of New Zealand’s most highly qualified herbalists, it contains nine active ingredients, including the immune system supporting herbs Olive leaf and Echinacea. Licorice nourishes mucous membranes that line our throats, supporting our immune system to have strong defenses where it’s needed. It also contains ThymeMed™, a scientifically researched, fresh plant extract from Thyme grown in central Otago.
- Useful tip: Keep a bottle in your supplement cupboard so you’ll always have a supply on hand for immediate use at first sign of a scratchy throat or snuffly nose.
This genius formulation contains immune support herbs Echinacea root and Olive leaf, along with New Zealand Blackcurrant, which is recognised worldwide for its high levels of anthocyanin antioxidants. Elderberry extracts are added to make this an excellent daily tonic to support your immune system. Each dose gives the equivalent of 45g of fresh berries for an antioxidant hit.
- Useful tip: Add this to your daily smoothie for an immune and antioxidant boost, plus a gorgeous purple hue.
These drops are so easy to take, and customers tell us often how much they love it. With a convenient dose guide, you can adjust the dose to suit any member of the family from 1 year and over. It’s super easy to hide in food and drinks too. Zinc is the queen of immune minerals and is crucial for supporting healthy immune cell function. Zinc is a mineral that’s commonly deficient in NZ soils, so supplementation is a good idea.
- Useful tip: Don’t swallow it in the same gulp as your morning coffee as studies show coffee can reduce zinc absorption by 50%. Separate them by 30 mins.
Looking for Vitamin and Zinc together in one delicious chewable? This high-quality combination of Vitamin C and Zinc offers comprehensive immune support as both are crucial to maintain strong, healthy immune cell function. Vitamin C and Zinc also keep the mucous membranes that line our nose and throat healthy and offer support from winter immune threats.Unlike most other mammals, regular Vitamin C consumption is vital as we can’t produce our own. We lack a certain enzyme to convert it – a trait we share with Guinea Pigs.
- Useful tip: Take as a daily boost to keep your immune cells primed and ready for action.
This is no ordinary lozenge, it’s a comprehensive immune product. In fact, it’s classed as a dietary supplement because it provides a standardized extract of Black Elderberry, a powerful immune supporting herb, along with added Vitamin C and Zinc. Sambucus gets its name from the scientific name for Black Elderberry: Sambucus nigra. Soothing and delicious, the only challenge is not exceeding the daily dose of five per day.
- Useful tip: Black elderberry is also a rich source of anthocyanins – plant antioxidants that support healthy aging and blood vessel health.
Vitamin D is a key nutrient for healthy immunity. Our bodies produce Vitamin D when sunlight hits our skin, but as sunshine is less available during the colder months and many of us protect our skin from the sun during summer, getting enough Vitamin D can become a challenge. In fact, according to the New Zealand Ministry of Health Vitamin D deficiency is common in New Zealand, with nearly a third of adults having sub optimal levels. One small capsule of Daily D provides 1,000 IU of Cholecalciferol (D3), the most bioavailable form of vitamin D.
- Useful tip: Vitamin D is also crucial for calcium absorption and a healthy mood.
Healthy gut bacteria play a key role in our immune systems. This kid’s probiotic features the strain of bacteria Probio-Tec BB12, which is patented and has been researched on its benefits in children. Each 100% vegetarian chewable tablet provides 11 billion CFUs or Colony Forming Units, supporting a good colonising of the gut lining. Our gut microbiome is intrinsically linked to our immune function – healthy gut probiotics means healthy immunity. Plus, kids aged two and up love the natural strawberry flavour.
- Useful tip : This kid’s probiotic is shelf stable, so no need to store it in the fridge.
Parents rave about this children’s ears, nose, and sinus support formula. And for good reason. Made with Echinacea and Elderflower, it offers systemic immune support and helps to keep nasal passages clear. This blend is ideal for kids that tend towards congested ears when they get ills and chills. It’s certified organic and naturally flavoured with apple juice, making it palatable for littlies.
- Useful tip: This formula has an adult’s dose too, perfect for adults wanting to avoid alcohol in the adult version.
Sometimes it can be tricky to get all your daily nutrients – especially if there’s a fussy eater in the house. Vegan, delicious and convenient, these gummies make it easy to fortify little ones’ immune systems with Vitamin C and Zinc. Parents like gummies because there is no cajoling required to get little ones to take them and kids love the taste.These penguin shaped gummies are adorable. No worries about artificial colours or flavours either – they’re coloured naturally with beta carotene and natural pineapple flavouring.
- Useful tip: Offer them along with a healthy snack. At just two per day, it’s simple to add into the daily diet.
With Our Better Choices Promise you can feel confident knowing you’ve chosen the best immune support products for your family. Being well prepared for any ills and chills can bring added peace of mind and research says that has a positive flow-on effect too. Having a relaxed mind helps with heathy immune response.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional.
- Clinicians is distributed by Douglas Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Auckland.
- Artemis is distributed by Artemis Ltd, Dunedin.
- Kiwiherb is distributed by Phytomed, Auckland.
- Ethical Nutrients is distributed by Metagenics, Auckland.
- Sambucus is distributed by Pharmacare NZ, Auckland.
- Radiance is distributed by Pharmacare NZ, Auckland.
- The Good Vitamin Co is distributed by The Good Vitamin Co, Auckland.