Having good memory is one of the most vital functions enabling us to enjoy and manage demands of every-day-life, to build relationships and to learn and grow from past experiences.
Whether it is short-term memory or long-term memory, we often don’t realise how much we use this important function and how much we rely on it. We store past events and things we learned in our long term-memory and retrieve it from there, while we ponder about ideas or remember shopping list items, names or appointments in the short-term memory.
Memory function can decline for different reasons. Sleep disturbances, busy lives, chronically high stress levels, brain trauma and other medical conditions can also affect healthy memory function. In the modern day, our processing capacity can also be overwhelmed with the constant exposure to information from social media. One of the biggest factors influencing memory though, is ageing.
Exercising the brain is an excellent way of supporting memory function. Solving crossword puzzles or learning new skills are a few examples. Ensuring good quality and sufficient sleep and managing stress can also support memory function, as does a balanced diet based on 80% vegetables, good quality proteins, healthy fatty acids including Omega-3, and complex carbohydrates.
Herbs, vitamins and other supplements that can help to support normal memory include:
- Gingko biloba – helps to support peripheral blood circulation, mental clarity and healthy cognitive function
- Choline – supports mental energy, focus and healthy brain function
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) – supports healthy memory function and mental clarity
- Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid – support healthy neurotransmitter function and normal brain function
- EPA and DHA – supports healthy memory, learning and cognition
- Brahmi (Bacopa monieri) – supports healthy memory and mental function.