These unique looking black cookies are keto, gluten and egg free and sweetened with organic monk fruit extract powder, which (unlike refined sugar) doesn’t spike blood sugar levels, so it’s a great option for low carbers any others keeping a close eye on their blood sugar.
These cookies are bound using a flax egg, which is super easy to make – simply combine ground flax seeds with water to create a gelatine like texture that can replace eggs in most baking.
Their dramatic colour is thanks to activated charcoal and Chantal Organic Black Tahini, which gives rich flavour and makes them a good source of calcium too. A handy and tasty low carbohydrate snack or treat.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 3 scoops NOW foods Organic Monk Fruit Extract Powder
- 3 capsules Radiance Activated Charcoal
- 3 Tablespoons Chantal Organics Black Tahini
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
- Harker Herbals Natural Sea Salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 °C fan-bake and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Make the flax egg, by combining ground flax seeds with water and set it aside to gelatinise.
- Combine ground almonds, monk fruit sweetener and the contents of three charcoal capsules in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to mix together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flax egg, tahini, melted butter and vanilla essence and mix until well incorporated and smooth.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry using a spatula until a dough consistency is reached.
- Using a tablespoon or cookie dough scoop, scoop out dough balls and place on prepared baking tray.
- Dip each cookie ball into the white sesame seeds and press each cookie down gently with two fingers. Sprinkle each cookie with a little flaky sea salt if using.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until sesame seeds start to become golden.
- Let cookies cool on tray before serving
Time: Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 20-30 minutes
- Servings: 15
Amount per cookie
- Calories: 151
- Total Fat: 14g
- Total Carbohydrate: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Net Carbohydrate: 3g
- Protein: 4g
* Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal
Dietaries: Keto | Gluten Free