Humans must obtain Omega 3 fatty acids from our diet as, while they're essential for optimal health, our bodies can't synthesise them. The three Omega 3's are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Omega 3 Fish Oil contains high concentrations of EPA and DHA, the two Omega 3's used directly by the human body. ALA is the plant version of EPA and DHA. Once ingested, ALA is converted by a metabolic process into EPA and DHA to make it available for use within the body. Thus, unlike in the case of fish oil, another step is required in turning plant sourced Omega 3, such as flaxseed oil, into a form that can be utilised.
Omega 3 Fish Oil or Krill Oil supplementation is a reliable way of ensuring optimal intake of EPA and DHA for general health and well-being.
Omega 3 Fish Oil Benefits
The Omega 3 nutrients EPA and DHA may bring many benefits:
- enhance the quality of life and lower the risk of premature death. They have an important role in protecting and optimising nerve cell functioning.
- conditions such as ADHD, autism, poor coordination, fatigue, dyslexia, and aggression may all improve with Omega 3 supplementation.
- clinical trial have shown positive results with Omega 3 supplementation in affective disorders including depression and bipolar disorder.
- cognitive function may improve with sharper memory, clearer thinking and mental agility through Omega 3. In early stage Alzheimer’s disease Omega 3 may slow down the rate of decline, and supplementation may protect against the onset of the condition.
- Omega 3 Fish Oil has been shown to support mental function, and may decrease the damage done by inflammation and oxidisation in the brain and also regulate the production of important neurotransmitters (like serotonin – our happy molecule).
- studies have also indicated joint health benefits.
- optimal skin health, blood circulation and heart function, immune response and allergies are other indications for Omega 3 fish oils.
Omega 3 Fish Oil Side Effects
Omega 3 fish oils are generally safe and non-toxic when taken as directed.
While mercury contamination is theoretically possible, all of the Omega 3 Fish Oil supplements we stock are tested for unsafe levels of mercury and other contaminants.