Coconut Oil is an incredible super food – packed to the brim with essential vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and lauric acid, it is one of the most versatile oils on the planet. Coconut Oil can be used as a shaving cream, natural deodorant, in cooking and baking, for healthy skin and for dental health as well as an antimicrobial (the lauric acid content makes it great at battling bacteria, viruses and fungi).
Please read our comprehensive blog articles for more about coconut oil: Why you should go nuts for coconut oil! - Old School Dentistry: Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil and Go Crazy for Coconut Oil
And check out a cute little video about the Wonderful World of Coconut Oil!
BioBalance Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 225ml, 500ml
You save up to NZ$4.40
Natava SuperFoods Certified Organic Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil 470ml, 900ml
You save up to NZ$2.88
BioBalance Organic Coconut Sugar 250gm, 750gm
You save up to NZ$7.30
Natava SuperFoods Certified Organic Coconut Sugar 250gm, 500gm
You save up to NZ$1.36
Coconut Oil Info
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut Oil is produced from the fruit of the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera), a native to all tropical regions of the world. Historically the people of these regions have harvested various parts of this beautiful tree for a myriad of material, medicinal and culinary uses. Coconuts provide tasty flesh, water, milk and of course oil, and so have been a staple food for many of these populations for thousands of years, providing them with essential dietary fats.
In the past, due to its high fat content, coconut oil has been lumped together with other fats and labelled as ‘bad for your heart’. In fact modern research shows the opposite is true, with science now identifying the high levels of healthy fats in coconut oil. Unusually, most of the fats found in coconut oil are medium chain triglyceride fatty acids (MCT fats), as opposed to most dietary fats and oils which contain long chain triglycerides. MCT fats are more easily absorbed and metabolised by the human body into an available source of energy.
However, not all coconut oils created equal! Commercial grade coconut oil is extracted from dried coconut flesh (copra) then refined using high heat, clay filters and preservatives (sodium hydroxide). Other methods use chemical solvents to extract the oil. This produces a product known as RBD (Refined, Bleached and Deodorised ) coconut oil, which may then also be hydrogenated and therefore contain unhealthy trans fatty acids.
Virgin coconut oil on the other hand is made using only fresh coconut flesh. The flesh is either quick dried using minimal heat and a mechanical oil press, or wet milled by pressing coconut milk from the flesh then separating the oil from the water.
Coconut Oil Benefits
Why should you include coconut oil in your diet?
- Virgin coconut oil can play a significant role in cardiovascular function, with studies showing healthy cholesterol levels being maintained and even improved with regular intake of quality virgin coconut oil.
- Virgin coconut oil can help boost energy and endurance, increase your metabolic rate and so assist weight loss, and support healthy skin and hair.
- Virgin coconut oil helps to improve digestion and absorption of all nutrients, assisting healthy elimination and hence helping to relieve symptoms of inflammatory diseases such as Crohn’s, UC and gastric ulcers. It also has antioxidant effects to help support pancreatic, kidney, liver and thyroid function.
With its high level of saturated fat coconut oil is much more heat stable than other oils, making it one of the healthiest options for cooking, even at relatively high temperatures, as in frying. Coconut oil is resistant to oxidation, and so doesn’t go rancid quickly which can generate free radicals. Coconut oil has high lauric acid content, giving it strong antimicrobial and immune supporting properties. It is a rich source of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre.
- Coconut oil can be used as a spread, in dressings, in smoothies and even applied topically as a nourishing skin treatment. You can use it on your pets skin rashes…even if they lick it off its good for them!
- With its pleasant flavour coconut oil can also be used for oil pulling, an ancient Ayurvedic cleansing practice which draws impurities out of the body. Simply hold about a tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth and swish around for 20 minutes then spit out. Try not to swallow any of the oil as it will have absorbed many toxins from your tissues which you want to get rid of, not take back into the body. By completing this cleansing routine once a day you can help improve the health of your mouth and sinuses, as well your entire immune system!
I buy lots
Glad it's in glass jar. Usually the most economical brand. I always buy cold pressed unrefined organic brabds and they all have that lovely flavour I think.
I am starting to like the brand Natava for their powders as well cacao and maca.
This coconut sugar tastes great and replaces all other sugar in baking or drinks . Its a bit less sweet than cane sugar but much healthier and tastier.
Unbelieve products. I love the smell and function on this.
Summer Coconut & Argan Oil Beauty Tips
It’s Summer Time and how refreshing is each dive into the blue sea or a pool on a relaxing day to cool off? Playing in the water with your friends or your children is one […]
Spiced Hot Chocolate with Superpowers Recipe
We all have those moments when you need a pick-me-up, and how about adding some variety to your regular cuppa? In the South American kitchen the combination of raw cacao and spices is not unknown. There is a […]
Please wait, processing your order...