Cold Sores Support
Cold sores are very common and are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1. This virus is spread easily and is often passed on through physical contact such as through a kiss from a family member or partner, or through sharing eating utensils with an infected person.
Although many may have the virus, it can lie dormant in the body without causing any problems until it is triggered.
Some common triggers that can cause an outbreak include stress or emotional upset, ills and chills or a high temperature, being run down and fatigued, or injury to the area. Stress is a strong factor that is well known to cause a flare up.
While it’s easy to get caught up in our busy lifestyles and put ourselves last, this in turn can lead to high stress levels, broken sleeping patterns and a fast food diet, all of which leave us susceptible to a weakened immune system and a higher chance of a cold sore outbreak if we have the virus. Practical ways to relieve stress can include daily relaxation techniques such as meditation, breathing exercises, listening to music or yoga.
A healthy diet to support our immune system and healthy lips should include foods such as citrus fruits, red peppers, broccoli, garlic, and spinach. It is also essential to avoid foods that we might be intolerant to, such as foods that may cause bloating and discomfort or an impaired digestive system.
Aside from diet and stress management, supplementing with specific vitamins and nutrients can also be used to prevent cold sores and support healing. These can be found as capsules, tablets, herbal liquids, creams and gels and may include nutrients such as:
- Lysine – an amino acid which helps to support the body’s natural ability to heal lip damage, support any outbreaks and nourish lips in times of stress
- Zinc – helps to support skin healing and a healthy immune system
- Vitamin E – moisturising and supports skin healing
- Tea Tree and Horopito – provides antiseptic properties
- Vitamin C – supports a healthy immune system and healthy skin
- Olive Leaf – supports a strong immune system
- Echinacea – provides support for a healthy immune system and assists with normal recovery
We have a wide range of natural products available to help support cold sores and the general health of your lips.