The anatomy and function of eyes is an amazing complex structure, yet looking after them is not as complicated as it seems. Fortunately, we can reduce the risk for developing eye health problems significantly by making good diet and lifestyle choices. Supplements can be a very effective and easy way to top up on essential nutrients for supporting healthy eyes as we age.
Some nutrients to help support healthy eyes and vision include:
- Beta-carotene – supports healthy vision and assists the health of eye tissue
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin – antioxidants, found in the eye lens and retina, assist whole eye tissue health and are especially supportive of the health of the retina
- Zinc – assists healthy eye function and supports the health of eye structures
- Vitamin C – important antioxidant that supports normal eye function and health
- Omega-3 fatty acids – supportive of cell signaling function and health of nerve tissue in the eyes.
Lifestyle and diet choices to support healthy vision and eye function include:
- Going for regular eye exams to check for any eye disease or issues with eye strain
- Protecting the eyes from too much sun by wearing good quality sunglasses that black out UV rays
- Eating a nutritious, mainly plant-based diet including plenty of dark leafy greens, colourful vegetables and some fruit for a high antioxidant and beta-carotene intake
- Ensuring enough rest for the eyes
Top tip: The 20-20-20 rule. To help reduce eye strain when spending time in front of a computer screen or other digital device, practice resting your eyes by looking away from your screen every 20 minutes for 20 seconds at a time on a point that is roughly 20 feet away.