Headache & Migraine Support
Headaches are one of the most common and often very debilitating conditions. There are many types of headaches and sometimes it’s not easy to differentiate between them. Primary headache disorders include headaches, migraines, tension-type headaches and cluster headaches. Secondary headaches however are due to specific causes including injuries, infections or other disorders as well as substance misuse or withdrawal.
The causes of headaches and migraines differ, and they are both often accompanied by different symptoms. There are however some underlying factors which are present in both:
- Dehydration can be a trigger for headaches, so optimal hydration is an easy thing to remedy
- Keeping blood sugar levels balanced is another helpful measure. Skipping meals and subsequent hypoglycaemia is a common trigger
- Managing stress and getting sufficient, good quality sleep also helps to keep headaches at bay
- Keeping a food diary to find out whether any type of foods or liquids can be associated with the onset of headaches is useful. Common triggers include cow’s milk, wheat, chocolate, eggs or citrus fruits
Some researched nutrients that can offer support in managing headaches include:
- Magnesium – helps to balance blood vessel and muscle tone which can be beneficial with pain management.
- Ginger – supports normal tissue response to inflammation and healthy platelet function
- Jamaican Dogwood – supports pain management as it helps to balance muscle tone
- Vitamin B complex – Vitamin B requirements increase with stress, which can be a trigger for headaches. Vitamin B2, B3 and B6 are also of specific support for headaches
- Coenzyme Q10 – supports mitochondrial health which is beneficial for managing migraine headaches in particular
- Omega-3 fatty acids – support normal tissue response to inflammation and help to balance normal blood vessel tone
- 5HTP – 5HTP is a precursor to serotonin, an important neurotransmitter involved in migraines.