Sleeplessness can affect people at any age and can occur short term (up to three weeks) or long term (above 3–4 weeks). It can lead to memory and concentration problems, mood imbalances, irritability, stress and inflammation.
There are dietary and lifestyle changes you can make to support sleeping habits such as regular daily exercise, meditation, and deep breathing exercises. Look to reduce your intake of sugar, alcohol, caffeine containing beverages and other stimulants. Consume nutrient rich foods that provide vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
The following supplements are options to support healthy sleeping patterns:
- Vitamins and minerals - Magnesium, Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Calcium, Potassium, Zinc to help calm and soothe the nervous system
- Amino acids - 5HTP, L-Theanine and Glycine can support healthy mood
- Herbs - Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Passionflower, Skullcap, Valerian, Withania and others can be taken to support the nervous system and assist with achieving normal sleep
- Pure essential oils – Lavender, Cedarwood, Bergamot, Ylang ylang, Jasmine and Frankincense can be diffused in the evenings to support relaxation
- Tart cherry - helps with normal hormone balance