The nervous system is a very complex network of nerves and cells that carry messages to and from the brain via the spinal cord to other parts of the body. Chemicals called neurotransmitters act as messengers within the nervous system and are used to communicate messages between neurons (nerves cells), or from neurons to muscles.
A healthy brain and nervous system is vital for all bodily processes and functions including digestion, breathing, blood flow, muscle function, ability to think, feel, learn and more.
There are many things we can do every day to support a healthy brain and nervous system. Some proactive options include:
- Enjoying a nutritious, plant-based diet with the aim to keep blood sugar levels balanced to provide nerve cells with regular energy
- Including omega-3 fatty acids in the diet for healthy cell membrane function and neurotransmitter transport
- Ensuring sufficient and good quality sleep to help support healthy nervous system circuits and repair processes
- Enjoying workouts for the brain while learning new things or engaging in problem solving games
- Taking pleasure in an active lifestyle such as playing with the kids outdoors, walking, tramping, cycling, dancing, yoga or other aerobic and weight bearing activities
We can also support a healthy brain and nervous system through supplementation of certain nutrients and herbs. Some options include:
- Vitamin D – supports healthy nerve cells and balanced nervous system function
- Vitamin B12 and folic acid – support healthy state of nervous system cells and balanced neurotransmitter function
- Withania somnifera (Ashwaganda) – supports strong memory and health of nerve cells
- Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) – a herb used to support cognitive function, memory and healthy nerve cells
- Coenzyme Q 10 – is a powerful antioxidant which helps to protect cells from free radical damage and supports healthy nervous system cells
- EPA & DHA – omega 3 fatty acids help to support healthy brain function as well as provide support for memory, learning and concentration