Our heart and circulatory system make up our cardiovascular system. Beating around 60-100 times a minute, our heart works as a pump to deliver blood to our organs, tissues and cells. Oxygen rich blood is carried from our heart to the rest of our body through our arteries, arterioles and capillaries. From here, carbon dioxide and metabolic waste is then carried through venules and veins back to the heart to be reoxygenated. This flow of blood through our heart and complex network of blood vessels is known as our circulation.
Our blood vessels are like the plumbing system of the body. They are surrounded by rings of muscle which contract to increase pressure and expand to reduce the pressure of the blood inside them. Blood pressure can be affected by many factors such as genetics, diet, exercise, and stress. It’s important to maintain a healthy blood pressure and have it checked regularly to ensure it is in the healthy range.
Positive dietary and lifestyle strategies directly influence cardiovascular health. These strategies include regular exercise, moderating caffeine intake, cessation of smoking, managing stress, and following a healthy, high fibre diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Eating fish 1-2 times per week, reducing alcohol, salt and saturated fat intake is also recommended.
Certain minerals and herbs can also help to support a healthy heart and circulatory system:
- Magnesium helps to support healthy blood vessel tone, normal blood pressure, as well as support relaxation and a healthy response to stress.
- Hawthorn contains bioflavonoids to maintain strength of blood vessel walls for blood pressure support.
- Ginger, Ginkgo biloba and Cayenne help with circulation support and maintain sufficient blood flow to the extremities for warm hands and feet.
- Butchers Broom and Horsechestnut aid in the maintenance of healthy muscle tone in veins.
- Garlic, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Lecithin, and Red Yeast Rice help provide the body with nutrients to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
We stock a range of supplements to assist in maintaining a healthy heart and cardiovascular system. You can trust all the products we choose to stock align with our Good Ingredients Promise.