Learning & Concentration
Much of our day to day functioning requires to be alert, to concentrate and focus and to rely on good memory function. These functions depend a lot on the vitality and health of the brain. Many things can influence brain function and make us feel less efficient and forgetful. It could be stress and overwhelm due to increased demands of a busy life or challenging situations like studying for exams, going through emotional difficulties or the effect of ageing. Underlying health conditions, like gut problems compromising absorption of nutrients or imbalances in neurotransmitter function, can also affect normal brain function.
A lot can be done though to support vitality of the brain and our ability to concentrate. Regular physical exercise is important for overall health and wellbeing, and this includes brain function. It’s also important to do a workout for the brain, such as solving crosswords and puzzles or learning new skills. Sufficient sleep, socialising, stress management and laughter are other ways to help brain function and memory. Of course, addressing underlying health problems and enjoying a balanced and nutrient rich diet is essential for brain performance as well.
Herbs and nutrients to support healthy brain function, learning and concentration include:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids – support healthy neurotransmitter function and mood
- Ginkgo Biloba – supports mental clarity, healthy brain circulation and healthy memory function
- Bacopa monnieri – assist healthy brain circulation, provides antioxidant support, and help normal neurotransmitter function
- Superfoods like spirulina or green vegetable powders – contain many antioxidants to protect brain cells from oxidative damage
- B-complex – supports healthy neurotransmitter function and mood
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) – supports healthy memory function and mental clarity