What’s more nostalgic than rice crispy treats? For a wholesome take on the traditional kids classic, this recipe is sure to be a winner - especially in little ones’ lunchboxes. Refined sugar and dairy free, these Nutty Rice Crispy Treats are made with wholefood ingredients that taste incredible.
For an easy and simple option on busy days, or when you’re in the mood for something sweet, these treats are super yummy and oh so moreish.
Superfoods that pack a punch
Starring my favourite Roar Organic Nut Mix Activated and Roar Organic Seed Mix Activated, these crispy treats are rich in nutrients that nourish your insides. What’s more, being activated (soaked, washed and dehydrated below 47°C), they’re gentle on the tummy and super digestible.
The need-to-know about Coconut Oil
This healthy fat is derived from – you guessed it – coconuts. Extracted by pressing fresh or dry coconut meat, coconut oil is a great option to add to smoothies or your dish of choice. Extracted from fresh coconut meat, virgin coconut oil is a great alternative to refined coconut oil because it retains a much stronger flavour in comparison.
When it comes to recipes, you can use solid, refrigerated coconut oil in place of butter, or use the liquid-form in place of oils like canola and olive.
It’s a perfect substitute for anyone wanting to make healthier choices and works well for greasing pans if you don’t have baking paper on hand.
For that gooey, creamy texture: nut butter
Using your choice of spreads – I used Chantal Organics Almond Nut Butter – bring it altogether with a creamy, smooth option that takes flavour to the next level. This nut butter is perfect for adding to any sweet treat or baked good.
For a fun-filled day in the kitchen that the little ones will love, give this messy and delectable treat a go. Store in the freezer to enjoy any moment you feel like something sweet – and no need to let it thaw, these treats can be eaten straight from the freezer – how good!
- 4 cups puffed rice
- ½ cup Roar Organic Seed Mix Activated
- 1 cup Roar Organic Nut Mix Activated, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons New Hemisphere Hulled Hemp Seeds (optional)
- ¼ cup Bio Balance Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Chantal Organics Rice Syrup
- 1/3 cup Chantal Organics Almond Nut Butter
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry, mixing gently with a rubber spatula.
- Gently press into a lined Swiss loaf pan and let set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and enjoy, can be stored in the fridge or in the freezer.
Serves: 12 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Set time: 20 minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving*
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 182
- Total Fat: 13g
- Total Carbohydrate: 12g
- Net Carbohydrate: 11g
- Protein: 4g
- Sugar: 4g