For most of us, one of summer’s highlights are sunny late lunches spent around the backyard barbeque in the company of good friends and family. A fresh salad seems to always be a staple at such occasions, but this year, why not get creative and swap the iceberg lettuce and tomatoes for something a little different? My Salad Builder is designed to give you loads of inspiration for new ingredient combinations. Simply choose some ingredients from each section and then mix things up by adding different nuts and seeds, or fresh fruit and herbs to make delicious flavour combinations. When it comes to the dressings the options are endless too.
The recipe below combines components from the Salad Builder. It’s unique and tastes great with fresh peppery rocket, crisp cucumber, salty feta, sweet blueberries and oranges accompanied by a tangy tahini dressing and topped with crunchy toasted walnuts. Nutritious and delicious.
- 60g fresh baby rocket
- 60g fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 50g crumbly feta
- ½ cup walnuts pieces
- 6 Tablespoons Chantal Organics Organic Tahini
- 5 Tablespoons Skybright Organic Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Hemp Farm Kiwi Hemp Seed Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and dry-fry walnut pieces for about 1-2 minutes. Make sure to keep tossing the walnuts so that they don’t burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To make the dressing, combine the tahini, apple cider vinegar and mustard in a small bowl, mix well until smooth. If too thick add a little water.
- On a large serving plate, place a mix of the baby rocket and spinach leaves, sprinkle over diced cucumber pieces followed by blueberries and orange slices. Crumble over feta.
- Just before serving, generously drizzle with hemp seed oil followed by the mustard tahini dressing and top with toasted walnut pieces.
Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Total Fat: 19g
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Net Carbs: 7g
- Protein: 6g
* Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal
Dietaries: Gluten Free