The days are getting longer and the weather’s getting warmer, meaning it’s officially that time of year to roll the barbeque out. Fire up the grill and impress loved ones with these tangy and oh so satisfying tofu kebabs.
Packed with flavour from the fermented green chilli paste and lemongrass, this plant-based version of the kebab classic is sure to make your taste buds zing. It’s the perfect option for vegans or those wanting to reduce their meat intake, and pairs well alongside a side salad, steamed rice, or your favourite summer BBQ goodie.
The star ingredient: Tofu
Also known as bean curd, tofu is made by coagulating soy milk and pressing the curds into soft blocks. But don’t let the former name throw you off – when prepared right, tofu tastes incredible and is extremely versatile. Silken tofu is best used in desserts like cheesecake or pudding, while firm tofu is ideal for frying or using on the grill. It’s the perfect meal replacement for anyone leading a vegetarian or low-carb diet.
For an added kick: Fermented Chilli Paste
Made by fermenting hot chillies and other ingredients of your choosing in a large pot, fermented chilli paste is a perfect ensemble to any lunch or dinner idea. Fermentation is a clever culinary technique that not only helps preserve foods but provides a significantly complex and rich depth of flavour to any dish. Moreover, fermented foods are also great for gut health - making them a wonderful addition to any diet.
Blended with banana for a slightly thicker texture, our Fermented Green Chilli Paste delivers a light yet zesty flavour that helps round out any dish.
An ingredient must-have: Coconut Sugar
Satisfy your sweet tooth with a natural, less refined option that’s packed with good fats like coconut sugar. For a plant-based sweetener that keeps your glucose levels in check and energy levels up, you can’t go wrong with coconut sugar. Add it to your morning cuppa, or to your favourite dessert recipe as a replacement to regular cane sugar.
In comparison to regular sugar, coconut sugar is a healthier choice. Containing a low level of GI, it’s a perfect option for the whole family to enjoy. Not to mention, it balances beautifully across both sweet and savoury dishes with a coconut caramel flavour – certainly winning our tick of approval.
- 300g plain firm tofu
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 2 teaspoons ROAR Organic Artisan Coconut Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Agri Fermented Green Chilli Paste
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 pinches Pacific Harvest Manuka Smoked Salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- To make the marinade, combine coconut sugar and hot water in a small bowl. Stir until sugar has mostly dissolved. Add remaining marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Remove tofu from the packet, draining off any excess liquid. Pat dry with a paper towel and cut tofu into 2 cm cubes. Place tofu cubes into a bowl and cover with two-thirds of the marinade, gently toss to coat and set aside.
- Prepare vegetables, cutting them into medium-sized pieces.
- Skewer tofu and vegetables onto kebab sticks.
- Cook over medium heat on the BBQ, brushing with remaining marinade until cooked.
Makes: 4 Kebabs | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time:15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving*
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 248
- Total Fat: 9g
- Total Carbohydrate: 26g
- Net Carbohydrate: 20g
- Protein: 16g
- Sugar: 10g