For super satisfying comfort food that’s free from dairy, this delicious recipe makes the perfect addition to any holiday potluck or weekly dinner meal. Impress dinner guests or loved ones with this tasty dauphinoise that is gentle on the tummy and full of flavour.
Packed with savoury yeast, vegetable broth, and herbs and spices to season, it’s also vegan-friendly and prepared using nourishing ingredients. Delicious and super creamy, this recipe is also great for meal-prep and busy days ahead.
- 800g agria potatoes
Cashew cheese sauce
- 2 cups whole raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ½ Tablespoon vegetable broth powder
- 1 Tablespoon savoury yeast flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 good pinches sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- Lemon zest
- Cover cashew nuts with hot water and set aside to soak. Preheat oven to 180°C fan-bake.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes to about 4mm thick rounds. Cover potatoes with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to a rapid boil then turn down to a medium-high heat and simmer for 5 minutes until potatoes are tender, then drain.
- Once drained lay the potatoes out onto a baking sheet to cool, while you make the sauce.
- To make the cashew sauce drain and rinse the soaked cashew nuts, and add to a blender with all remaining sauce ingredients. Blend on high until a smooth thick consistency is reached. If needed add a little extra coconut cream or warm water. Add in lemon zest, black pepper and season to taste.
- To assemble your dish, create a single layer of potatoes in the bottom of a 20x20cm pan and spoon enough sauce to thinly cover. Repeat 2-3 more times finishing with a sauce layer.
- Top with gluten-free breadcrumbs, chopped fresh chives, ground pepper and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Finish with a little extra lemon zest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden. Serve hot.
Makes: 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes| Cook time: 25 minutes| Total time: 40 minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving*
- Servings: 9
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 14g
- Total Carbohydrate: 25g
- Net Carbohydrate: 22g
- Protein: 7g
- Sugar: 2g