If you’re looking for a great homemade Christmas gift idea, this delicious biscotti could be just what you’re after. The tasty nutty flavour is accompanied by sweet orange and warming ginger and cinnamon spices – making it the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee.
This recipe is gluten and dairy free, and as I have used coconut sugar as the sweetener, it’s a lower GI than store-bought biscotti.
There are a few tricks to remember when baking biscotti. Firstly, it’s important to let the loaf cool completely before cutting it, otherwise it will crumble. Always cut biscotti with a sharp, serrated knife. Once biscotti is baked it needs to dry out, so it’s best stored in a cookie tin. The loaf can be made in advance and cooled then cut and baked again the following day.
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cups coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ceres Organics Cinnamon
- Melted dark chocolate for dipping
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the ground almonds, coconut and tapioca flour with the coconut sugar, cinnamon and baking powder, making sure to whisk out any clumps. Add almond slivers, orange zest and freshly grated ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs with vanilla essence, pour into the flour mix and begin to combine with a spatula, continuing to mix into a soft dough.
- Once combined, place dough onto prepared baking tray and, with wet hands, shape into a rectangular shape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut into 2 cm thick slices and return to the baking paper lying flat, pop back into the oven at 160°C for a further 5-10 minutes, turn and bake for a final 5-10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional: Melt chocolate bain-marie style and dip one end of each biscotti biscuit into the melted chocolate, place back onto baking paper and sprinkle with left-over slivered almond, let set at room temperature.
- Once cooled, store in a biscuit tin or a jar and adorn with ribbon to make a pretty gift.
Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 18
Amount per serving:
- Calories: 136
- Total Fat: 8g
- Total Carbohydrate: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Net Carbs: 10g
- Protein: 4g
* Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal
Dietaries: Dairy Free | Gluten Free