This healthy twist on the traditional pizza is a must-try recipe. It’s very easy to make and the super thin and crispy base is made with hemp flour, so it’s free of gluten, dairy and egg, but it puffs up just like a pizza crust should.
For something a little different from your regular tomato paste, I’ve included a green sauce recipe, which is a tasty way to get your daily greens – and use up garden herbs. I’ve also provided a vegan alternative for cheese sauce. How can one have a pizza with no cheese you ask? This simple and tasty faux cheese sauce is made from cashew nuts and nutritional yeast. Yum!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- 2 cups New Hemisphere Hemp Seed Flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 3 Tablespoons New Hemisphere Hemp Seed Oil
- 8 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (optional)
Green Pizza Sauce
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 Tablespoons New Hemisphere Hemp Seed Oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Salt (optional)
- ½ orange kumara, pre-cooked
- ½ red onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 3 button mushrooms
- 1 spring onion
- 2 Tablespoons Lotus Savory Yeast Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ¼ cup SkyBright Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Chop orange kumara into small cubes and roast until just tender. Set aside. Turn oven temperature up to 200 degrees.
- To make the pizza base start by combining the flaxseeds and water to make the flax egg. Set aside to let thicken.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine hemp flour, guar gum, salt, pepper garlic powder and Italian herbs if using. Make a small well in the centre and add hemp seed oil and prepared flax egg. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until well combined and the mixture resembles a dough.
- Halve dough and place one portion in the centre of a piece of baking paper and place a second piece of baking paper over top. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out your pizza base to about 3mm thick. Repeat with second portion of dough.
- Place pizza crusts with bottom piece of baking paper onto heated baking trays and bake the pizza crusts in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until air bubbles form and crust puffs up around the edges.
- While the dough is cooking prepare the other components. To make the green pizza sauce, add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and rinse out blender ready to make the cheese sauce. To make the cheeses sauce add all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare and chop the toppings ready to build your pizza.
- Once the crust is cooked you can start assembling the pizza. Start by spreading a generous amount of the green sauce evenly over the base, add prepared toppings. Put pizza back into the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Just before serving drizzle over your ‘cheese’ sauce, slice and enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 2 medium pizzas
Amount per serving
- Calories: 527
- Total fat: 65g
- Total carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary fibre: 71g
- Protein: 36g
*Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal.
Dietaries: Gluten Free | Dairy Free