Hemp seeds are super delicious with a mild nutty flavour similar to walnuts or sesame seeds. Also known as hemp hearts, hemp seeds come from the Cannabis sativa plant. While this is the same species as the marijuana plant, hemp seeds contain no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), so won’t have any psychoactive or mind-altering effects. Full of nutrients, hemp seeds are a great source of fibre, omega 3 and 6, and of course plant protein.
Ever versatile, hemp seeds can be used in smoothies, baking, tossed in salads, in muesli or simply enjoyed as a snack on their own. My favourite way to use them is in baking or raw treats.
Packed full of all the good stuff, these cookies make for a nutritious snack and tasty lunchbox addition for the kids. Sweet in flavour with a crisp outside and chewy centre – just how a cookie should be.
Nutrition Information, per serving (1 cookie):
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius on fan bake and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine all cookie ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Using a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the mixture and form balls, placing on the baking paper-lined tray. Using two fingers press to flatten slightly.
4. Pop in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp on top.
5. Allow to cool and enjoy with a hot cuppa. Keep stored in an airtight container or jar.
Total Time: 20 mins | Makes 15 cookies