A crunchy biscuit base, creamy peppermint filling and topped with chocolate ganache, this decadent and delicious wholefood take on the traditional peppermint slice is sure to impress. Using spirulina powder, dates and nuts, this sweet treat is packed with a host of nutrients. Enjoy straight away or store in the freezer to take out when you're after a creamy after dinner snack.
Time: 1.5 hours (includes freezing time)
Makes: 12 servings
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 3 cups raw cashew nuts
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp spirulina powder
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 1 TB natural peppermint essence
- Cover cashew nuts with hot water and set aside
- Cover dates with hot water and let soften for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Once dates are softened add to a food processor with remaining base ingredients and pulse until well incorporated.
- Press base mix into the bottom of a lined 20x20cm slice tin and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender with all filling ingredients. Blend on high until a smooth mousse-like texture is reached.
- Pour the filling over the base and spread evenly. Place into the freezer for 1 hour
- To make the ganache, whisk together the semi-softened coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao powder into a thick smooth paste, spread over chilled filling and set in the refrigerator for a further 10 minutes.
- This slice can be stored and enjoyed from the freezer – take out and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Note: Cut with a sharp, warmed knife.