After a healthier version of traditional marshmallows? This delicious recipe is not only tasty, but good for you too – packed with ingredients like rice malt syrup, grass-fed gelatin and cornflour. And while traditional marshmallows generally call for powdered sugar to prevent stickiness, I’ve opted for corn flour – which is a great low carb choice that ticks the boxes.
From your next camping trip (smores anyone?) to your weekend activity with little ones – these marshmallows contain less than 10 ingredients, and they’re super fun to make too. Dunk them in your next hot choc or enjoy on their own – the fluffy texture alone is so satisfying to eat.
The star ingredient: Nutra Organics Natural Gelatin
Made with high quality, sustainably sourced and grass-fed gelatin, this natural gelatin deserves a spot in your kitchen pantry.
What is it used for? Aside from being exceptionally nourishing and great for your gut, gelatin is great for making:
- Jellies – try it with our homemade jelly gummies
- Other delicious desserts – like our gut-loving black forest jelly slice, or this yummy recipe.
It’s also wonderful for supplying the raw materials for collagen in your body – so you know it’s good for you.
Your refined sugar substitute: Chantal Organics Rice Syrup
Cutting back on refined sugar? Rice syrup could be just the thing to satisfy your sweet cravings. Made from 100% brown rice, this natural sweetener makes an ideal sugar alternative in your favourite baked goodies or in your morning cuppa. It’s also suitable for those shying away from honey.
From our lemon ginger protein slice to this fluffy, oh-so gooey marshmallow recipe – get your sweet tooth fix with this sensational choice.
- 3 Tablespoons Nutra Organics Natural Gelatin
- 1 cup water, divided
- ½ cup Chantal Organics Rice Syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
- ¼ cup cornflour - for coating
Optional add ins:
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Radiance Beetroot Powder - for a gorgeous pink colour
- 1 Tablespoon favourite latte powder (we recommend Nutra Organics Golden Latte)
- 1 Tablespoon Matakana Superfoods Matcha Organic Tea Powder
- 2 Tablespoons BioBalance Certified Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 1-6 drops food colouring
- Line a 20x20cm tray or container with baking paper, and lightly brush with melted coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gelatin with ½ a cup of water and set aside to let the gelatin bloom (absorb water).
- Meanwhile - in a small pot, combine the remaining ½ cup of water with the rice malt syrup, honey and salt. Heat on medium-high heat. Mix only until combined. Then bring the mixture to a gentle boil and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until mixture reaches 115 degrees Celsius if you have a candy thermometer).
- With an electric mixer running on low speed, slowly stream the hot sweetener mix into the bloomed gelatin. Gradually increase the speed of your mixer and continue to mix until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. It will take approximately 10 minutes of mixing. At the last minute, add in the vanilla and optional flavourings. Make sure not to over mix as the marshmallow will begin to set.
- Working quickly, scrape the marshmallow fluff into your lined tray and smooth over the top with a spatula.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Once set, using a lightly oiled knife cut into giant squares, dust each square with corn flour.
- Enjoy as a tasty treat. Toast or dunk in a hot chocolate. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Makes: 15 pieces/servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Set Time: 2 hours
What's inside? Nutritional goodness per serve*
Total Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 22g
Net Carbohydrate: 22g
*Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal.
|Explore all recipes →||Top up your pantry →|