Sucker for anything savoury? Whether you’re after a nutritional boost or wanting to switch up your usual morning brekkie, this energising, healthy breakfast recipe or snack is sure to leave you feeling fantastic.
Loaded with chia seeds and barley grass to add brain-loving nutrients to your day, welcome an oomph of energy. From school lunches to an after-work pick me up, it’s great for busy families – and it’s easy to make too.
Leftover rice from this recipe? Get crazy with various flavour variations by adding superfood powders like beetroot powder, mushroom powder or turmeric. You can also add in any of your favourite herbs or spices too.
Your nutritional powerhouse: BioBalance Barley Grass Powder
Packed with over 20 essential vitamins and minerals, along with various antioxidant and alkalising benefits – this green superfood gets right down to business. It’s gluten-free, vegan friendly and is terrific for helping little ones get in their greens. Sweet treat loaded with this superstar? You’re sure to appreciate these rainbow superfood energy balls.
Tip: Barley Grass is the mildest tasting of the supergreens – making it super easy to sneak into in recipes.
All-day energy this way: Matakana Superfoods Chia Seeds
Making up for their small size with a wide range of nutritional goodness, chia seeds are a versatile option for every pantry shelf. From adding a buzz of energy to your day to being rich in fibre, they serve themselves well across most meal ideas. Whether it’s overnight oatmeal, smoothies, soups or slices, this ingredient essential is a great way to nourish your day.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- ⅓ cup pre-soaked Matakana Superfoods Raw Organic Chia Seeds
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup Lotus Savoury Yeast Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon BioBalance Certified Organic Barley Grass Powder
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Mix chia seeds with water and let them soak until they form a gel-like consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, zucchini, soaked chia seeds, rice flour, savoury yeast flakes, barley grass powder, and freshly chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix until well combined, and the mixture is slightly sticky. If the mixture is too dry, add a little oil or water until it comes together.
- Heat the waffle maker on high heat and brush it with olive oil. Place 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture onto the hotplate and cook until the waffle is crispy.
- Serve with your favourite sauces and toppings (avocado, pickled veggies, crispy bacon, poached eggs...) or pop them into your lunchbox for days when you’re on the move. Enjoy!
Makes: 10 small waffles | Prep time: 10 minutes | Set time: 10 minutes
|Explore all recipes →
|Top up your pantry →