Whether you’re following a plant-based diet or looking to increase your vegetable intake, this gluten-free, vegan burger patty is a perfect meat-free meal: it’s wholesome, hearty and fantastic served with quick-pickled vegetables. Want a lower carb option? Easy – just enjoy these patties in a lettuce bun or with a simple side salad.
- Flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup white quinoa (should equal 1 cup once cooked)
- 2 cups kumara
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium white onion, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup of fresh chives and parsley
- Cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
Herb coconut yoghurt sauce:
- 1 cup plain coconut yoghurt or yoghurt of your choice
- 1 cup fresh chopped herbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon hemp seed oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 good quality burger buns
- Sprouts and fresh lettuce leaves
- Quick pickled carrots
- Prepare flax egg by combining ground flax seeds with water and set aside.
- Cook quinoa as per packet instructions (this step can be done in advance).
- Peel and cut kumara into medium-large chunks, boil until just cooked, roughly crush with a potato masher, leaving some texture.
- Preheat oven 180 °C and prepare a lined baking tray.
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to a food processor with the onion, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined.
- In a large bowl combine one cup cooked quinoa, mashed kumara and chickpea mixture with the flax egg.
- With wet hands (to prevent sticking), form your patties and place on prepared baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large fry-pan with a drizzle of oil, remove patties from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds, quicky fry each side in the pan until patties are golden and crisp on each side.
- To make the herb yoghurt sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
- Serve in a good quality burger bun with your favourite accompaniments. Try these quick and easy pickled vegetables for a zingy topping.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4 large patties
Amount per serving:
- Calories: 199
- Total fat: 2g
- Total carbs: 40g
- Net carbs: 33g
- Protein: 6g
- Dietary fibre: 7g
Dietaries: Vegetarian | Vegan | Gluten Free
*Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal.