Who doesn’t love tacos?! I wanted to create a vegan option that still packed mince-like texture and savoury umami flavour. And the old ‘low carb lettuce leaf wrap’ trick – while refreshing and crunchy – was getting a tad dull. This Vegan Keto Celeriac Taco tastes great and is packed with fibre, protein and heathy fats. The celeriac root tortilla is lower carbohydrate and less processed than a flour-based wrap – but more exciting than a lettuce leaf wrap. It’s also robust enough to withstand a generous amount of filling without falling apart in your hands.
The other great thing about tacos is that you can really make them your own. Feel free to mix it up with your favourite toppings… try fresh chillies, a good dollop of salsa, or a squeeze of lime – the options are endless.
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- ½ white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ cup New Hemisphere Hulled Hemp Seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large celeriac root
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sliced avocado
- Cherry tomato
- First, pickle the red onion for the topping, by adding with thinly sliced red onion rings to a small bowl and cover with apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- To make the nut mince, add the walnut pieces and carrot to a food processor and gently pulse until a rough mince-like texture is reached.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan and lightly fry off chopped onion and garlic. Transfer your walnut mince into the pan and begin to fry off the mixture. Add soy sauce (if using), paprika and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, tossing constantly until walnuts are toasted and carrot has softened. Remove from heat, add in the hemp seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- To make your celeriac tortilla, thinly slice the celeriac root with a sharp knife, if you get an uneven slice, simply lay flat on a board and gently trim off excess with a sharp paring knife. Once your slices are cut and ready, heat a light drizzle of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Cook celeriac taco until coloured on each side. Serve immediately.
- To assemble your tacos, add your nut mice to the centre of your celeriac taco and top with avocado slices, cherry tomato pieces and pickled red onion. Wrap it up and enjoy.
Time: Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
Amount per serving
- Calories: 126
- Total Fat: 19g
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Net Carbohydrate: 6g
- Protein: 6g
* Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal
Dietaries: Keto | Vegan | Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free