Winter can be harsh here in New Zealand. There is next to no likelihood of getting the washing dry on the line, any public holiday is sure to be raining and it tends to be very windy. It also can cause issues with your skin – dry skin, more lines and when that tan fades, summers damage can be very obvious. So, what can you do to support healthy skin during the winter months?
1. Moisturise. Make sure you're protecting your skin from the outside with a good natural moisturiser. Applying your moisturiser in the morning onto damp skin ensures that you are locking moisture into the skin. This is important if you’re in the wind and cold and then in heating which can really sap the moisture.
2. Drink water. It can be difficult to drink enough water during winter but it is very important! When there’s a low intake of water, your body will conserve it for essential bodily processes such as blood volume, leaving your skin dry and sallow. If you are finding it tough in the colder months, maybe get try some warm water with lemon.
3. Increase your oil intake. Just as water is important for the skin, so are essential fatty acids. These fats help to support skin moisture from within and are important for reducing skin moisture loss. They’re kind of like an internal moisturiser. Get into the avocados, nuts seeds and fish.
4. Take marine collagen. This protein can be very helpful as it both provides the body with the raw ingredients for it to make collagen and also supports the healthy production of skin. Marine collagen also contains glycoaminoglycans which act to support optimal healthy moisture levels in the skin. You must be aware of the source of marine collagen though as it is often derived from vulnerable species of fish or sharks.
5. Up your antioxidants. Increasing your antioxidants over the winter period can be helpful in supporting your body’s natural defences against the trials of winter. Increase your intake of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables and try swapping out your coffee for matcha. This green tea powder still has a little caffeine to get you going but is also very high in the antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which supports healthy aging of the skin.
Beauty Brew Parfait
This is the perfect skin loving dessert! Gluten, nut and dairy free, it contains good fats from avocado, vitamin C from lovely limes and Misty Day Plant Potions Beauty Brew which contains skin supporting marine collagen alongside the antioxidant powerhouse that is matcha.
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice and zest of two limes
- 6 medjool dates
- 2 heaped teaspoons Misty Day Plant Potions Beauty Brew
- Pomegranate seeds for topping (Could use other fruit or berries)
- Scoop out the avocados and put the flesh in the blender
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and the dates are no longer visible
- Pour into glasses and put into the fridge to set for an hour
- Take out of the fridge before serving and dress with pomegranate or other fruit.
Shop Misty Day Plant Potions online.