These healthier kumara brownies are super rich and gooey and made with simple and wholesome ingredients. A perfect treat for when the chocolate cravings hit, plus no flour needed.
Kumara is high in fibre and provides essential nutrients including calcium and iron. It provides the perfect sweet base for this recipe and the best part is the kids won’t even know it’s there. These brownies are free from refined sugar, dairy and gluten, and you can make them in just 4 easy steps.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 servings
- 2 cups orange kumara, cooked and mashed
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- 1-2 tsp mushroom powder of your choice
- ½ cup roughly chopped dairy free dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- ½ cup chopped nuts of your choice
- Cook and mash kumara (this can be done ahead of time or the day before). Pe-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and using a spatula mix until well incorporated
- Transfer to a 20 x 20 cm baking tray lined with baking paper
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Let cool completely before cutting and store in an airtight container at room temperature.