Make the most of the surplus of sweet and juicy plums in season with this delicious, healthy take on a traditional shortcake. This fresh and light dessert is the perfect weekend treat, lunchbox filler, or a special sweet to spoil your friends and family with. Made with gluten free flour and monk fruit so it’s free of gluten and dairy, refined sugar free, and full of goodness.
Delicious on its own or enjoy with a dollop of your favourite (or homemade) yoghurt.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 cup ground almonds
- 8 scoops monk fruit sweetener
- 120g coconut oil, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 2 cups plums, de-pipped and quartered
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons apple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180° C and line a 20 cm cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and softened coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl combine gluten-free flour, ground almonds and sweetener using a whisk making sure there are no clumps.
- Gradually begin to add the flour mixture into the egg mixture combining with a spatula until a dough is formed.
- Press two-thirds of the dough into the base of the prepared cake tin and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until just golden.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the apple and combine the chopped plums with apple syrup, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Layer apple slices evenly over the par-baked base and then top with prepared plums. Spoon the remaining shortcake mix over the top.
- Return the cake to the oven and bake for a further 20-30 minutes until lightly golden on top
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking: 20-30 minutes
- Servings: 12
Amount per serving:
- Calories: 228
- Total fat: 12g
- Total carbohydrate: 26g
- Net carbs: 24g
- Dietary fibre: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Dietaries: Gluten Free | Dairy Free
*Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal.