Pregnancy is an exciting, life changing and often scary time for most parents. With so much going on inside of you, (even more than the little one(s) growing) your focus shifts to the health and well-being of both you and your baby. Once the nausea subsides you may start to be able to make the conscious choice to eat well, get out for some fresh air and take some regular gentle exercise. Your obstetrician may have also suggested nutritional tips to support the health of your growing baby, which can include probiotics.
Go With Your Gut
The balance between good and bad microbiota (the incredibly varied inhabitants of a healthy gastrointestinal tract) in your gut can have a big influence on your health, but it can also influence your baby’s inner health. In a healthy gut, trillions of probiotic orgamisms are working away, setting up a healthy foundation for you and your baby. Probiotics help to support this by balancing the flora in your gut. However, probiotics may also support immunity and general well-being. The healthier your gut environment, the greater the possibility your baby will also have good gut and immune health.
Your Baby’s Inner Health Starts with Yours
Pregnancy probiotics are specifically designed to help support the healthy microbiota balance and gut health of both mum and bub during this important stage of life. Lactobacillus rhamnosus (LGG®) is one of the world’s most researched strains for pregnancy. In combination with Lactobacillus acidophilus (NCFM®) and Bifidobacterium lactis (Bi-07) it has been shown to support your baby’s immune system development, dry, itchy skin and helps to maintain baby’s health and well-being.
During pregnancy there is an increased need for nutrients such as iron, iodine, folate, zinc, calcium and vitamin D. Pregnancy supplements containing these essential nutrients can help support a healthy pregnancy as well as baby’s growth and development. Folate in the form of folic acid taken at 400-500mcg daily for one month before conception, as well as during pregnancy, is well known to support healthy foetal development.
Simple Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Try and eat organic/chemical free to avoid exposure to pesticides or added hormones
- Eat 3 serves of fresh fish per week, or take a high quality fish oil supplement to support baby’s brain development
- Eat protein at every meal (whether it’s meat, fish, nuts and seeds, eggs or dairy), to provide the building blocks needed for growth
- Drink plenty of water and cut back on caffeinated and sugary drinks
- Rest! Try to sleep a minimum of 7 hours per night. If you’re having trouble sleeping, speak to your healthcare professional about tips or supplements that may help
- Exercise is crucial, but listen to your body! Try to include regular pelvic floor exercises to strengthen your pelvic muscles and help avoid problems in the future.
Every pregnancy is different, whether it’s baby number one or baby number three this is an exciting time. Don’t forget to be kind to yourself and don’t overdo it. Enjoy the experience of this unique journey and look forward to a happy and healthy baby.
Ethical Nutrients Inner Health Pregnancy & Breastfeeding is a scientifically formulated pregnancy and breastfeeding probiotic to support mum’s gut health and baby’s immune and skin health. Buy it now from our secure online shop.