These oaty brekkie bites are packed with plant-based protein and perfect for breakfast on the go, or a quick pre-or post-gym snack. They’re made with wholesome oats, nuts and seeds, nut butter and coconut oil, which are full of good fats to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
They’re super easy to make and freezer friendly, so you can make them in big batches to keep you going through the week when you need a pick me up. Better yet, they’re an easy and affordable alternative to store bought protein bars.
I’ve used almond butter with hazelnuts, cacao nibs and sunflower seeds but you could mix up the flavours by swapping in some of your favourite nut or seed butters – peanut butter would be a delicious addition.
- 2 cups oats
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons cacao nibs
- ½ cup protein powder or coffee creamer
- ½ cup cacao powder (optional)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or syrup sweetener of choice
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup almond butter or favourite nut/seed butter
- 50g melted dark chocolate for drizzling
- Add oats, and hazelnuts to a food processor and blend to break down slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats and hazelnuts with sunflower seeds, cacao nibs and protein powder or coffee creamer. Use a whisk mix to combine and break up any clumps, and add in the cacao powder if using.
- Pour in melted coconut oil, liquid sweetener and nut butter. Mix well.
- Using a lined 20x20cm baking tray press mixture into the base, making sure it is compact.
- Place in the freezer to set.
- Once set drizzle with melted dark chocolate. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Set time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 20
Amount per serving:
- Calories: 172
- Total Fat: 13g
- Total Carbohydrates: 11g
- Net Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary fibre: 5g
*Nutritional information is based on approximate calculations by My Fitness Pal.