For a healthy, homemade snack that is nutritionally dense, these Seaweed Five Seed Crackers are perfect for when you’re on the go. This recipe features a mixture of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds – all fantastic sources of fibre.
These super crispy crackers are a satisfying option to have on hand any time of the day. Enjoy them on their own or alongside your favourite toppings or dips.
The oceans superfood
Recognised as ‘the ocean’s superfood’, seaweed offers a fantastic umami flavour to any great dish and is naturally salty – making it a perfect choice for those following a low sodium diet. Being plant-derived, it’s also a highly nutritious option for vegans and vegetarians. Why is seaweed so good for our health, and the health of our planet? Check out Getting Started with Seaweed: The Oceans Superfood.
For a smoky flavour that resembles bacon, our Pacific Harvest Atlantic Dulse Flakes are a great substitute if you’re looking to reduce your meat intake. And to add an extra kick to this recipe, I’ve included Pacific Harvest Chilli Seaweed & Sesame Seasoning – an excellent source of iodine that also pairs well with rice, vegetables or as a garnish.
The power of seeds
High in healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids, seeds are renowned for their nutritional content. Full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, they’re also a wonderful option for those with food allergies.
Offering up a high nutritional value, these gluten-free crackers are my current go-to snack for busy days. They’re also a delicious addition to any summer sharing platters or beach day lunchboxes. For what is sure to be an instant crowd favourite, this recipe has it all.
- ½ cup Roar Organic Seed Mix Activated
- 1 cup Roar Organic Sunflower Activated
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ¼ cup Roar Organic Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup New Hemisphere Hulled Hemp Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Pacific Harvest Chilli Seaweed & Sesame Seasoning
- ½ Tablespoon Pacific Harvest Atlantic Dulse Flakes
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine all seeds and seasoning in a bowl. Add water and mix well.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to let the seeds absorb the water, mixing a couple of times to ensure an even consistency. The mix should become quite thick and sticky.
- Transfer seed mix to a lined baking tray and spread using a spatula, cover with an additional sheet of baking paper and smooth with hands to create an even thick layer.
- Place into the oven and cook for 45 – 60 minutes, once cooked, let cool completely and then gently break into pieces. Serve with your favourite dips, on a sharing platter or topped with your favourite toppings.
Makes: approx. 20 crackers | Prep time: 15 minutes| Cook time: 45 – 60 minutes
Nutritional Information Per Serving*
- Servings: 20
- Calories: 104
- Total Fat: 8g
- Total Carbohydrate: 3g
- Net Carbohydrate: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Sugar: 0g