With the harsh New Zealand summer sun, it's important that we protect our skin from both UVA and UVB rays. While we can do our best to limit our sun exposure, many of us want at least a little fun in the sun - so how can we limit our chemical exposure too?
Sunscreen isn't just for the beach. The reality is that no matter where you are, it's important to protect your skin against sun damage. Whether you're out for a quick walk with the dog, driving to work, or sitting by the window at your 9-5 job, if your skin isn't protected there is likely to be some skin damage. Even blue light emitted from computer screens and fluorescent office lighting can cause oxidative damage and inflammation within the skin. Protecting any exposed skin each day is therefore your best bet to protect not only against sunburn and skin damage, but against premature aging, wrinkles and pigmentation.
Our Top Picks
At HealthPost, we have a strict set of criteria, especially when it comes to sunscreen products. Thanks to our strict ingredient standards, our sunscreen products must be cruelty free and independently tested to make sure they meet the label claims. While it's important for sunscreens to be safe and effective, it's also about making sure they're easy to apply and don't leave you feeling like a sticky ghost! We’ve got your sunscreen covered this summer with our top natural picks for the whole family.
For the face:
- Evolu Age Defence Protective Day Cream SPF30: Rich in age combating plant botanicals including kiwifruit seed oil and green tea extract, this protective daily cream hydrates and nourishes skin whilst protecting against UVA and UVB rays. Non-oily and no white marks, this is an ideal day cream that can be worn with or without makeup.
- Madara Anti-Pollution CC Cream SPF15: COSMOS certified with organic ingredients, this everyday SPF15 formula provides broad spectrum sun protection, while also correcting skin tone imperfections such as redness and pigmentation. With added hyaluronic acid, this every day cream deeply hydrates while also protecting the skins microbiome from urban pollutants.
For the body:
- Madara Plant Stem Cell Antioxidant Body Sunscreen SPF30: Using stem cells from the Northern Dragonhead plant plus Raspberry Seed oil and vitamin E, this natural zinc oxide based sunscreen is rich in antioxidants helping to protect against both free radicals and sun damage. Gliding on easily with a translucent finish, this broad spectrum sunscreen is great for the whole family, from the beach to your backyard barbeque.
- Eco by Sonya Natural Sunscreen SPF30: Certified organic with no synthetic ingredients, Eco By Sonya zinc based Natural Sunscreen is non-greasy and rubs in easily for immediate protection from UVA/UVB rays. With added green tea, rose hip and vitamin E, the formulation is nourishing and gentle on skin, plus has the added bonus of being 3 hours water resistant.
For the little ones:
- Made4Baby Natural Fragrance Free Sunscreen SPF50: Made for the most delicate and sensitive skin, Made4Baby offers high SPF protection and 2 hours water resistance. Non-whitening and non-greasy, this gentle formulation goes on easily to protect against both UVA and UBA rays.
- Coola Baby SPF50 Unscented Sunscreen: With over 70% organic ingredients including Sesame Seed, Avocado and Coconut Oil, this mineral based sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide provides broad spectrum protection. Fragrance and paraben free with no other nasties, Coola Baby SPF50 Unscented Sunscreen is perfect for little one's sensitive skin and is 80 minutes water resistant.