Wanting natural relief for complaints caused by pollen, grasses, dust or mites?
If you struggle throughout the year with strong reactions to pollen, grasses, dust or mites, you will be happy to hear there are some natural options to support and calm the body.
For symptomatic relief:
- eyedrops and sinus sprays which can soothe
- herbal formulas that contain Echinacea, Garlic, Eyebright or Horseradish can support the way the immune system responds
- Vitamin C, bioflavonoids, and quercetin support clear airways and healthy mucous membranes
For a more holistic long-term approach:
- supporting healthy gut flora which in turn helps to balance the immune system
- removing foods from the diet which impair the integrity of the digestive tract
- supplementation with Spirulina to improve phytonutrient intake
What causes the imbalanced immune system response?
Changing seasons, dust and mites can be a problem for some people. When dealing with the drudgery of allergic reactions, it can be hard to fathom though the foggy brain why your body might be so reactively producing too much histamine. Histamine triggers localized immune reaction of the mucous membranes as part of the body’s normal defensive response.
When the immune system is out of balance it becomes hypersensitive and an exaggerated histamine response is produced, manifesting as an allergy or an autoimmune disease.
Which natural measures and are available to help correct immune system responses?
For symptomatic relief
- Weleda offers two types of Sinus Drops, one for support the relief of blocked airways from thick catarrh, another for the clear watery discharge typical of the response to seasonal appearances of dust and mites. There are also eyedrops containing a great herb for supporting eye health – Eyebright (Euphrasia Officinalis). Weleda’s Euphrasia 3x Soothing Eyedrops.
- Eyebright is also a great remedy taken internally in tincture, extract or tablet form to help soothe mucous membranes and balance the response to allergens. Kiwiherb’s Herbal Allergy Formula is a great tincture to use for adults and for children 2 years and over.
- Increasing Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids will help to balance immune system responses and support a healthy histamine response. For maximum absorption take several doses throughout the day and build up to 3-5 grams per day in the acute stage. If loose bowels occur, cease taking.
- Garlic is well known as nature’s helper to fight off invaders and in addition is very effective in combating complaints related to seasonal immune responses. It balances immune function and contains quercetin, a natural histamine balancer.
- Quercetin is a bioflavonoid that is found in vegetables, especially garlic, onions and apples. It helps to balance histamine response by the immune system, therefore, calms reactions to seasonal allergens.
- Horseradish helps to get things moving, relieving a blocked nose. As well as supporting the allergy response, it has a valuable antiseptic action.
- Echinacea will support and balance your immune system, improving function and balancing histamine reaction.
- Bromelain is a natural enzyme extract found in pineapples. This nutrient helps to balance mucous membrane response to immune challenges. It can help to calm congestion.
For a holistic long-term approach
- An effective measure to take is to remove food from the diet which may be aggravating the integrity of the digestive tract. This can increase hyper-sensitive reactions. Dairy, wheat and eggs are among common foods which can cause an immune system response which can then trigger or worsen a response to seasonal allergens or dust and mites too. It might be worthwhile to do an elimination diet or get tested for sensitivities. A qualified health professional can give advice and help with this.
- Increasing intake of green, red, orange and yellow vegetables is helpful– they are rich sources of health-boosting antioxidants, minerals and vitamins to support a balanced immune response.
- Increasing minerals through multi-mineral formulas and tissue salts creates the foundation for a healthy immune response. Scheussler’s Combination Q is a specific formula for sinus support.
- A daily dosage of Spirulina will help to support healthy immune system response to allergens. This algae is very high in important vitamins and minerals as well as amino acids that are necessary for cell functions including immune responses.
- Probiotics help to balance gut flora which is very important to support and balance healthy immune system response.
These are just a few of the many nutrients that can be taken individually or in combination for natural relief of seasonal allergies.