Have you ever stopped to read the list of ingredients on your tube of toothpaste? You may be surprised to find out just how many harmful and toxic chemicals you are putting into your mouth daily! Most of us brush our teeth twice every day, so it’s wise to take a closer look at what we’re putting on our pearly whites.
The mucous membranes in the mouth are highly permeable and chemicals can pass directly into the blood stream where they can accumulate into toxic levels. Many commercial types of toothpaste contain harsh abrasives and chemicals. Toxins that can be found in toothpaste include:
- Artificial sweeteners
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a synthetic detergent that is used to create the foaming action you may expect when brushing your teeth. You’ll find it in other cosmetic products (e.g., shampoo, body washes, etc) as well.
- Colouring agents
- Artificial flavors
- Detergents to remove fatty films
- Acrylic polymers to prevent bacteria
- Tetrasodium pyrophosphate to remove calcium and magnesium from the saliva to eliminate tartar build up
- Sodium carbonate peroxide to whiten teeth
Many of the natural toothpaste brands don’t contain the above harmful ingredients, and instead contain beneficial herbs and ingredients such as:
- Aloe Vera: Fights germs causing cavities and destroys bacteria causing mouth diseases.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree Oil is a natural broad spectrum antiseptic and antifungal. It helps combat oral bacteria and reduces gingivitis and bleeding. Found in Manuka Health Propolis & Manuka Honey Toothpaste with Tea Tree Oil.
- Sea Salt: An antibacterial agent that increases saliva flow, encouraging the body to keep the gums clean, healthy and strong. Found in Weleda Salt Toothpaste
- Propolis: for good gum healing, it is seen as ‘Nature’s antibiotic’. Found in Red Seal Propolis Toothpaste
- Baking Soda: Helps to naturally whiten teeth and freshen the mouth. Found in Red Seal Baking Soda Toothpaste
Eucalyptus: A natural essential oil for a fresh flavour with a cooling and soothing effect. Found in Red Seal Natural SLS Free Toothpaste
- Vitamin C: High potency Vitamin C strengthens tooth enamel by helping rebuild weak spots on your teeth.
- Calendula: A soothing herb that helps keep the gums and mouth healthy. Found in Weleda Calendula Toothpaste
- Ratanhia and Myrhh: Both herbs help to keep the gums and oral cavity healthy by reducing plaque-causing bacteria build up. Myrrh is known to treat inflammations of the gums and mouth, including mouth ulcers, and gingivitis. Found in Weleda Ratanhia Toothpaste
- Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium and Silica: Minerals that help promote cleaner, whiter and stronger teeth.Found in Red Seal Lemon Fresh Toothpaste
Switching to a natural toothpaste can greatly reduce the daily toxic load on our body while providing a multitude of beneficial elements to ensure a healthy mouth and natural smile!
Article by Renée Leonard-Stainton, Naturopath & Nutritionist
Renée Naturally – www.reneenaturally.com
HealthPost.co.nz stock a wide range of leading brand natural toothpaste at great low prices.